Friday, March 11, 2011

I just got home from work, and the first thing I saw in the news was the tsunami in Japan. My heart goes out to all the people effected. My cousin is married to a woman from Japan. I hope her family is all right.

Here's another painting by Donato Giancola:


FARAMIR AT OSGILIATH
55" x 37" Oil on paper on panel, copyright 2003 Donato Giancola, posted with artist's permission
Here's a bit of information about the story, from wikipedia:
Faramir, Boromir's younger brother, returns from his failed campaign with the shattered remnants of his company, and is soon ordered by his mad father, Lord Denathor, to ride out and continue the hopeless defence of Osgiliath against a horde of orcs. Osgiliath is soon overrun and a gravely wounded Faramir is carried back again to Denathor. This is the point in the story where Faramir is wounded, and his loyal men try to save him. One interesting note: the word 'orc' was originally coined by the English against the invading Normans.
What's the first thing you see in this painting?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't get my eye off the guy going against the tide.

    ReplyDelete