Monday, May 2, 2011

Giancola - a final examination

I just wanted to take one final look at this painting and see if there was anything used from the first post on this blog - any of the typical devices, such as the golden mean, rule of thirds, zigzags or L's, etc.

Here's a look at this using the Golden Mean to find four points, which I then used to make a grid, dividing up the picture plane. The idea with this is that the points of intersection should be ideal focal points, and the shapes should follow the lines. I don't see any of that here.




Here's another grid, this time dividing the painting into fourths. Again, I don't see any of the points or lines lining up with anything.




This last one turned out interesting, though. Here I made a simple diamond shape, and you'll see that a lot of the composition fits in quite nicely. There is a lot of symmetry in this painting, it's just subtle.












No comments:

Post a Comment